To kick off the Music Publishing Podcast, I sat down to chat with Alex Shapiro, a fantastic composer and friend who writes and speaks regularly about composers’ career issues, and is a Writer Member of the ASCAP Board of Directors.
Appropriately enough, we sat down on April 15 – usually tax day, except that we got a reprieve this year to procrastinate for a few more days.
In our wide-ranging conversation, we talked about:
- Choosing your own path
- Redefining success
- The dissolution of the old composing camps
- The Magic Bakery
- The future of copyright in the digital age
- Self-worth and Self-deprecation
- Finding a balance in the kinds of work you do
- Encouraging students to find their own stylistic path
- The importance of kindness and generosity